As we previously informed you, a deal was reached to delay the July 1st start date for employer contributions to the new Massachusetts Paid Family Leave program for three months.
The new legislation has now been officially enacted and it does the following:
- Required withholdings will begin on October 1, 2019.
- The new contribution rate is 0.75 %, adjusted up from 0.63%. This is to account for the delay in collecting contributions.
- The deadline for providing all employees with notice of the new law has now been extended from June 30, 2019 to September 30, 2019. This was something that was still unclear when we sent out our last newsletter.
- The deadline to apply for an exemption has now been extended to December 20, 2019.
- The final regulations will be issued on July 1, 2019. They will be posted at the mass.gov/pfml website.
You can refer to our prior newsletters on the Massachusetts Paid Family Leave program through these links or reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns: